Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Healing Touch



During this Lenten season Pastor Kris has been has been reflecting on the theme “Sensing the Gospel” during the Wednesday evening worship services. Two weeks ago she talked about the sense of touch. This reminded me of one of the events that happened to me at Holden Village. Each winter in February we had visitors from St. Placid Priory, a women’s monastic community in Olympia, Washington. Sister Monica and one or two of the other sisters would come for retreat and when they arrived the old spinning wheels in the attic of the dining hall would appear and the sisters would teach us how to spin sheep’s wool into yarn. I never could get the hang of that, but quite a few people did, including several of the children. It was always a special week when they came. However, I digress.

In February of 2007, a couple of the sisters from the priory were at Holden on their annual visit. One of the sisters had a special gift as a healer who practiced what is called “the Healing Touch.” She explained that we all have this electrical field surrounding our bodies and the healing touch involved passing her hands over the body through this field. This did not involve actual touching, but rather passing her hands over the body through this electrical field while praying silently. At the time I was having worse than usual aches and pains in my legs and back. Skeptic that I am, I was both curious and ready to try anything that might help. I signed up for a session with her and it was amazing. After about 45 minutes, I got off the table and honestly had absolutely no pain anywhere in my body. I had spent the entire time totally concentrating on relaxing and releasing the pain while she was doing this. I had two days of complete relief from pain following this session. This woman had a real gift of the healing touch which she shared with others and I was lucky to be in the place where I could be blessed by her gift. 

Gail Johnson